Community Services – Death Certificates
Please note – we are not able to provide death certificates at this time due to the statewide network security incident.
Death certificates are currently available curbside during business hours.
When you arrive:
- Park in the front of the Health Department.
- Enter the building and stop at the front desk to be screened.
- Do not come if you are having any symptoms of COVID-19.
- You must wear a cloth face covering or mask.
- Wait until you are called to the front desk for your transaction.
Funeral facilities may continue to request certificates via the funeral facility portal or by mail.
- By Mail – Please mail the application, photocopies of required identification, entitlement documentation, fee (check or money order only, made payable to the Division of Vital Records), and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Division of Vital Records, P.O. Box 68760, Baltimore, MD 21215-0036. (Note that expedited shipping is not available when ordering by mail.)
- By Internet –Order Certificates ONLINE
- By Phone – (410) 764-3038 #1
Death certificates can also be obtained through the Maryland State Division of Vital Records (DVR). For more information, call 800-832-3277 or 410-764-3038, or visit the Maryland Department of Health’s Death and Fetal Death Certificates page.
Who Can Get a Death Certificate?
The following people can get a death certificate from the Carroll County Health Department:
- A surviving relative of the deceased
- An authorized representative of a relative of the deceased
- A funeral director who was in charge of the final disposition of the body of the deceased
- A person who is a beneficiary of the deceased
- An individual who has a proven legal need
- Court of law;
- and others with a proven need.
For a complete list, please contact us at 410-876-2152. Death Certificates Expanded. You must bring identification and supporting documentation and pay the fee at the time of service.
How Do I Get a Death Certificate?
Call the Carroll County Health Department at 410-876-2152 for more information.
Death Certificates are available Monday – Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. (Due to COVID, our hours are limited to 8 am – 5 pm.)
The fee is $18 for the first copy, and $20 for each additional copy. We accept cash, check, or debit/credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover).