Community Services – Death Certificates
Death certificates are currently available by appointment or on a walk-in basis during business hours. The Carroll County Health Department files and copies Carroll County resident death certificates.
For an appointment:
- Call 410-876-4442.
- Complete an application for a request for death certificate.
- Email the completed application to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax to 410-876-4812. If you are not able to email or fax, applications will be accepted in person.
At your appointment time or if you walk in:
- Park in the front of the Health Department.
- Enter the building and stop at the front desk to be screened.
- Do not come if you are having any symptoms of COVID-19.
- You must wear a cloth face covering or mask.
- Wait until you are called to the front desk for your transaction.
Funeral facilities may continue to request certificates via the funeral facility portal or by mail.
- By Mail – Please mail the application, photocopies of required identification, entitlement documentation, fee (check or money order only, made payable to the Division of Vital Records), and a self-addressed, stamped envelope to the Division of Vital Records, P.O. Box 68760, Baltimore, MD 21215-0036. (Note that expedited shipping is not available when ordering by mail.)
- By Internet –Order Certificates ONLINE
- By Phone – (410) 764-3038 #1
Death certificates can also be obtained through the Maryland State Division of Vital Records (DVR). For more information, call 800-832-3277 or 410-764-3038, or visit the Maryland Department of Health’s Death and Fetal Death Certificates page.
Who Can Get a Death Certificate?
The following people can get a death certificate from the Carroll County Health Department:
- A surviving relative of the deceased
- An authorized representative of a relative of the deceased
- A funeral director who was in charge of the final disposition of the body of the deceased
- A person who is a beneficiary of the deceased
- An individual who has a proven legal need
- Court of law;
- and others with a proven need.
For a complete list, please contact us at 410-876-2152. Death Certificates Expanded. You must bring identification and supporting documentation and pay the fee at the time of service.
How Do I Get a Death Certificate?
Application: You can print the application and fill it out before coming in, or fill out an application at the Health Department. Application Death Certificate
Call the Carroll County Health Department at 410-876-2152 for more information.
Death Certificates are available Monday, Tuesday and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 a.m., and Wednesday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m., same day service.
The fee is $18 for the first copy, and $20 for each additional copy. We accept cash, check, or debit/credit card (Visa, MasterCard, Discover).