Skip to Main Content
Text Size: A A A

A Test Page – 0127202

Birth Certificate

Due to the current State of Emergency, the Carroll County Health Department is providing limited services by appointment and virtual services to reduce the risk of customer exposure to COVID-19.

Certificates will be issued from 8:00 a.m.-5:00 p.m. Monday – Friday by appointment only. Fees should be paid by credit/debit card over the phone if possible, or by cash or check at the time of the appointment.

If you need a birth certificate, please follow the process listed below:

To place an order:

  • Call 410-876-4442 to make an appointment.
  • Complete an application for a request for birth certificate.
  • Email the completed application to or fax to 410-876-4812.

At your appointment time:

  • Park in the front of the Health Department.
  • Come to the front door and review the posted screening questions.
  • Call 410-876-4442.
  • Answer the screening questions.
  • When you are cleared, you may enter the building. You must wear a cloth face covering or mask.

By Mail – Mail forms to:

o   Division of Vital Records

                 P.O. Box 68760

                 Baltimore, MD 21215

We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause as we work to keep everyone safe.

Certified copies of Maryland Birth Certificates are provided at the Carroll County Health Department. A certified copy is printed on special paper that cannot be easily duplicated. Certified copies can be used to obtain a driver’s license or passport, and for school enrollment, social services, retirement, and other legal purposes.

The Birth Registration Notice provided by the hospital when a baby is born is NOT a birth certificate and cannot be used as a proof of identity. Click here to learn more about birth registration notices and birth certificates: Maryland License Renewal Documents

Only birth certificates for people born in Maryland are available at the Carroll County Health Department.

Due to the Federal REAL ID Act, documents including a certified copy of your birth certificate may be required to apply for and renew your Maryland Driver’s License or Identification Card. For information on Real ID and the MVA, visit the Maryland Motor Vehicle Administration’s Real ID page.

Changes and corrections are provided by Maryland’s Division of Vital Records and not at the Health Department.  For more information, contact the Maryland Division of Vital Records (DVR) at 800-832-3277 or 410-764-3038, or visit the Vital Statistics Administration page.

Please contact the Carroll County Health Department at 410-876-2152 for more information.

Birth Certificate brochure

Who Can Get a Birth Certificate?

  • A person requesting his/her own birth certificate
  • A parent for their child’s certificate – the parents name must be listed on the birth certificate
  • A court-appointed guardian of the person named on the certificate. A foster care appointment is not acceptable; original proof of guardianship must be submitted.
  • A surviving spouse of the person named on the certificate; proof must be submitted.
  • A representative of: (1) the person or a parent named on the certificate; or (2) the court-appointed guardian of the person named on the certificate. The representative must have a notarized letter signed by the person, parent, or guardian, giving the person permission to get the birth certificate.

Note: Your name must be on the child’s birth certificate for you to receive it.

What do I need to get a birth certificate?

You need a valid government-issued photo ID, with an issue date and an expiration date that has not passed (cannot be expired). This includes:

  • Driver’s license or ID card issued by the Motor Vehicle Administration
  • Passport
  • Military ID for active service personnel
  • Prison ID

If you don’t have a photo ID, you must present two different documents, at least one with your current address. Documents we can accept include:

  • Social Security Card
  • Pay stub
  • Car registration
  • Bank statement
  • Letter from a government agency requesting the vital record
  • Property deed
  • Utility bill
  • Tax return
  • Copy of a W-2 form
  • School photo ID
  • Lease/rental agreement

If you do not have a photo ID but present two acceptable documents, you cannot receive the birth certificate the same day. It will be mailed to you.

How Do I Get a Birth Certificate?

1. In person from the Carroll County Health Department:

  • Complete an application. You can print the application and fill it out before coming in, or fill out an application at the Health Department. Application Birth Certificate
  • We are now able to access birth certificates for people born before 1940, but there may be a longer wait. If you call ahead, we can start the process before you arrive.
  • The Health Department is located at 290 South Center Street in Westminster.
  • Birth Certificates same day service is available Monday, Tuesday and Friday 8:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. and Wednesday and Thursday 8:00 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
  • The cost is $20 per certificate. We accept cash, check, and debit and credit card payments (Visa, MasterCard, Discover).

2. Online:

3. By phone:

4. By mail:

5. In person in Baltimore:

  • Complete an application. You can download and print the application and fill it out before you go (find it on the Request Birth Certificates page) or fill out an application there.
  • The Division of Vital Records is located at 6764B Reisterstown Road, Baltimore.
  • Acceptable forms of payment are cash, check, or money order made payable to the Division of Vital Records.