Skip to Content Accessibility Information

Extreme Temperature Resources


Staying Safe in the Cold

It’s important to be prepared for winter weather, with cold temperatures and snow and ice.

Learn more about how to prepare for winter weather with tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Extreme Cold: A Prevention Guide to Promote Your Personal Health and Safety

Winter: Be Ready Infographic

Remember to heat your home safely and prevent carbon monoxide poisoning by installing detectors and following these CDC Carbon Monoxide Safety Tips.


Staying Safe in the Heat

It’s important to be prepared for extreme heat. Learn more about how to prepare and be safe in extreme heat with tips from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.

Extreme Heat

Tips for Preventing Heat-Related Illness

Carroll County Extreme Weather Resources

Extreme Temperature Relief Centers (Warming/Cooling Centers)

During extreme temperatures, the Carroll County Department of Citizen Services and the Carroll County Public Library System will operate extreme temperature relief centers around the county. Residents who are vulnerable to extreme temperatures (extreme heat and do not have air-conditioning, extreme cold and do not have a heating system in their homes) are encouraged to utilize any of the following locations during regular business hours.

The Citizens Services Office Building at 10 Distillery Drive, Westminster, is also open to the public from 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM, Monday – Friday. This building houses Human Services Programs, Citizens Services, and Access Carroll.

The county’s five senior centers are open to the general public, regardless of age, Monday through Friday from 8:00 AM to 4:30 PM. For more information on the Senior Centers, call 410-386-3800.

  • Mount Airy Senior And Community Center, 703 Ridge Avenue, Mount Airy
  • North Carroll Senior and Community Center, 2328 Hanover Pike, Hampstead
  • South Carroll Senior and Community Center, 5928 Mineral Hill Road, Eldersburg
  • Taneytown Senior and Community Center, 220 Roberts Mill Road, Taneytown
  • Westminster Senior and Community Center, 125 Stoner Avenue, Westminster

The Carroll County Public Library branches are open Monday – Thursday from 9:00 AM – 8:45 PM, Friday and Saturday from 9:00 AM – 5:00 PM, and Sundays from 1:00 – 5:00 PM. For more information, call 410-386-4488.

  • Eldersburg Branch, 6400 Hemlock Drive, Eldersburg
  • Finksburg Branch, 2265 Old Westminster Pike, Finksburg
  • Mt. Airy Branch, 705 Ridge Avenue, Mt. Airy
  • North Carroll Branch, 2255 Hanover Pike, Hampstead
  • Taneytown Branch, 10 Grand Drive, Taneytown
  • Westminster Branch, 50 East Main Street, Westminster

Facilities operated by private/non-governmental organizations will also be open as extreme temperature relief centers during specific business hours. For more information, call the organization.

  • Carroll County Veterans Independence Project, 95 Carroll Street, Suite 104, Westminster 667-314-3700
  • On Our Own of Carroll County, 265 East Main Street, Suite C, Westminster 410-751-6600
  • Human Services Programs Adult Day Center, 127 Stoner Avenue, Westminster 410-857-2999

Access to air conditioning, heat, and water fountains will be available for those who need them at any of the extreme temperature relief centers.

Be aware that all of the above locations may be closed for holidays, severe weather, or other building issues.

Other Places

There are other places you can go to warm up and cool down:

  • Stores, malls, restaurants
  • Churches
  • Movie Theaters
  • Neighbor’s home

Be Prepared

County residents should be aware of extreme weather and be prepared for emergencies.

  • Have a kit with a flashlight, radio, water, food, and extra medicine.
  • Be sure you have enough fuel to warm your home.
  • Check on elderly or disabled neighbors.
  • Make plans on where you will go if you lose heat or power.
  • Include pets in your plans.

Power Outages / Energy Assistance


  • If you have a life-threatening emergency, call 911.
  • If you have a critical need during a community emergency such as a severe storm, call the Emergency Operations Center (EOC) at 888-5 GET-EOC. The EOC is only open during community emergencies.
  • If you have a critical need that is not a life-threatening emergency, call the Emergency Communications Center at 410-386-2260 for assistance.